View : 324 Download: 0
A survey of depressive symptoms among South Korean adults after the Korean financial crisis of late 1997: Prevalence and correlates
- A survey of depressive symptoms among South Korean adults after the Korean financial crisis of late 1997: Prevalence and correlates
- Kim E.; Jo S.A.; Hwang J.-Y.; Shin C.; Kim D.K.; Woo E.K.; Kim S.-S.; Shin K.R.; Jo I.
- Ewha Authors
- 신경림; 조인호
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 신경림; 조인호
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Annals of Epidemiology
- Annals of Epidemiology vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 145 - 152
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- We examined the prevalence of high levels of depressive symptoms and their association with sociodemographic and health characteristics in an urban Korean population following the financial crisis in late 1997. Using data from a cross-sectional survey conducted in Ansan-city, Korea, from June 1999 to June 2000, we examined the prevalence and correlates of depressive symptoms in a randomly selected sample of 4897 (2531 male and 2366 female) subjects aged 18 to 92 years. The prevalence and odds ratios of "probable" and "definite" depressive symptoms, defined as a Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) score of ≥16 and ≥24, respectively, were calculated. The mean CES-D score and prevalence of "probable" and "definite" depression were significantly higher in women (15.63, 41.67%, and 12.05%, respectively) than in men (14.43, 35.05%, and 8.10%, respectively) (p < 0.0001). In multiple logistic regression analysis, being female, unemployed, unmarried, self-assessed as unhealthy, and having a low income were found to be significant predictors of "probable" and "definite" depressive symptoms in Korean adults. Although current data cannot be directly compared with those reported in the most recently published Korean data from 1994, considerably high mean CES-D score and prevalence of depression speculate that the Korean financial crisis of 1997 had an effect on the development of depressive symptoms in Korean adults. © 2004 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.