View : 13 Download: 0
Ex vivo expansion and clonality of CD34+ selected cells from bone marrow and cord blood in a serum-free media
- Ex vivo expansion and clonality of CD34+ selected cells from bone marrow and cord blood in a serum-free media
- Kim S.-K.; Koh S.-K.; Song S.U.; Shin S.-H.; Choi G.-S.; Kim W.-C.; Lee M.-H.; Seoh J.Y.; Park S.K.; Fraser J.K.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Molecules and Cells
- vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 367 - 373
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Although umbilical cord blood is increasingly being used in allogeneic marrow transplantation, delayed platelet engraftment is often a concern for cord blood transplant recipients. We evaluated the potential of ex vivo expansion and clonality in CD34+ cells separated from a bone marrow source, and cord blood, in a serum-free Media. The CD34+ cells, selected from bone marrow (BM) and umbilical cord blood (CB), were expanded with hematopoietic growth factors. They were then cultured for burst-forming units of erythrocytes (BFU-E), colony-forming units of granulocytes and monocytes (CFU-GM) and colony-forming units of megakaryocytes (CFU-Mk) at days 0, 4, 7, and 14 under the combination of growth factors, with cell counts. The cytokines included the recombinant human megakaryocyte growth and development (100 ng/ml), interleukin-3 (10 ng/ml), stem cell factor (100 ng/ml), flt-3 ligand (50 ng/ml) and interleukin-11 (200 ng/ml). The CB-selected CD34+ cells showed significantly higher total cell expansion than those from the BM at day 7 (3.0 fold increase than BM), day 14 (2.4 fold), and day 17 (2.6 fold). The colony count of the BFU-E/CFU-E per CD34+ cell at day 0 was 0.14 ± 0.023 in the CB, which was significantly higher than 0.071 ± 0.015 in the BM. The CB-selected CD34+ cells produced more BFU-E colonies than the BM on culture days 4, 7, and 14. The BFU-E colonies from the CB cells increased markedly on culture days 4 and 7, with a 4-fold increase at day 14. The colony count of the CFU-Mk per CD34+ cell at day 0 was 0.047 ± 0.011 in the CB-selected CD34+ cells cultures, which was higher than the 0.026 ± 0.014 in the BM. The CB-selected CD34+ cells produced more CFU-Mk colonies than the BM on culture days 4, 7 and 14. In conclusion, the ex vivo expansion of the CB cells may be very promising in producing total cellular expansion, CFU-Mk and BFU-E compared with BM, especially at day 7. The ex vivo expansion of the CB may have rationale in making an ex vivo culture for 7 to 14 d. ©KSMCB 2002.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.