View : 75 Download: 30
Interleukin-6 does not mediate endotoxin-induced uveitis in mice: Studies in gene deletion animals
- Interleukin-6 does not mediate endotoxin-induced uveitis in mice: Studies in gene deletion animals
- Rosenbaum J.T.; Kievit P.; Han Y.B.; Park J.M.; Planck S.R.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science
- Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 64 - 69
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- PURPOSE. Interleukin-6 (IL-6) has been strongly implicated in anterior uveitis based on its presence in aqueous humor from infected eyes and its inflammatory effects when injected intravitreally into rats. We used IL-6- deficient mice to test further the hypothesis that IL-6 contributes to the development of endotoxin-induced uveitis. METHODS. Uveitis was scored by histologic analysis of C3H/HeN mice 24 hours after intravitreal injections of up to 200 ng of recombinant murine IL-6. Uveitis was similarly measured in IL-6-deficient mice and congenic controls 24 hours after intravitreal injection of 250 ng of Escherichia coli endotoxin. Reverse transcription- polymerase chain reaction was used to detect mRNAs for several cytokines at 3 hours postinjection. The IL-6 concentration in aqueous humor samples was determined with a bioassay using the murine B9 plasmacytoma cell line. RESULTS. Direct injection of IL-6 did not induce uveitis. Mice genetically deficient in IL-6 developed endotoxin-induced uveitis that was comparable or more severe than congenic control mice. Compensatory changes in the expression of mRNA for other cytokines were not detected in irises from the IL-6-deficient mice. In IL-6-competent mice that received bilateral endotoxin injections, no correlation was found between the number of infiltrating cells in one eye and the IL-6 concentration in the aqueous humor of the contralateral eye. CONCLUSIONS. In marked contrast to previous conclusions with rats, IL-6 was not sufficient for inducing uveitis in mice. Additionally, IL-6 was not necessary for the development of uveitis subsequent to intravitreal injection of endotoxin in mice.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Interleukin-6 does not mediate endotoxin-induced uveitis in mice Studies in gene deletion animals.pdf(5.44 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.