View : 64 Download: 0
New Approach for Efficient IP Address Lookup Using a Bloom Filter in Trie-Based Algorithms
- New Approach for Efficient IP Address Lookup Using a Bloom Filter in Trie-Based Algorithms
- Mun, Ju Hyoung; Lim, Hyesook
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTERS
- 0018-9340; 1557-9956
- vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1558 - 1565
- Internet; router; IP address lookup; trie; longest prefix matching; Bloom filter; binary search on levels; leaf pushing
- IEEE COMPUTER SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- IP address lookup operation determines the longest prefix matching each incoming destination address. As a fundamental operation for packet forwarding at Internet routers, search speed for routing table lookup is the most important performance metric. Previous researches have shown that the search performance of trie-based algorithms can be improved by adding on-chip Bloom filters. In these algorithms, an on-chip Bloom filter identifies the membership of a node in an off-chip trie, and the number of trie accesses is reduced, because the Bloom filter can filter out accesses to non-existing nodes in the trie. In this paper, we propose a new method of utilizing a Bloom filter for the IP address lookup problem. In the previous Bloom filter-based approach, false positiveness has to be identified by accessing the off-chip trie for every positive result, since false positives can produce wrong results. In our proposed approach, the false positiveness of a Bloom filter is not necessarily identified by making false positives not mislead the search. Hence the number of off-chip trie accesses are significantly reduced. Simulation results show that the best matching prefix can be found with a single off-chip access in average and in the worst-case with the reasonable size of a Bloom filter in our proposed method.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 전자공학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.