View : 22 Download: 0
Fate and behavior of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing genes in municipal sewage treatment plants
- Fate and behavior of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing genes in municipal sewage treatment plants
- Yi, Taewoo; Kim, Tae Gwan; Cho, Kyung-Suk
- Ewha Authors
- 조경숙; 이태우; 김태관
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND HEALTH PART A-TOXIC/HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES & ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
- 1093-4529; 1532-4117
- vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1160 - 1168
- Activated sludge process; anaerobic digestion; antibiotic resistance; beta-lactamase producing genes; disinfection
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS INC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) have the capability of hydrolyzing a variety of the newer beta-lactam antibiotics, including the third-generation cephalosporins and monobactams known as a rapidly evolving group of ESBLs. The purpose of this study was to investigate the occurrence and fate of beta-lactamase producing genes (CTX-M type 1, type2, CTX-M probe for all groups except CTX-M-1, and TEM, SHV, OXA) through wastewater treatment utilities. beta-lactamase producing genes in influent, digested sludge, activated sludge, and disinfected effluent were monitored. The results showed that influent contained high level of all target genes, and all CTX-M types, SHV, and OXA gene decreased significantly in biological treatment process such as activated sludge process and anaerobic digestion, however, TEM type was not effectively eliminated. Possibly, host microbes of TEM could be most resistant in target genes or to some extent gene transfer occurred in wastewater treatment processes. All target genes were significantly reduced during disinfection. Consequently, wastewater treatment process apparently reduced host microbes carrying beta-lactamase producing genes effectively, although they are selectively removed in biological processes. In addition, the significant reduction during disinfection was shown, although slightly differences of removal efficiency were observed in resistance.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.