View : 19 Download: 0
Maternal Physical Activity During Pregnancy, Child Leisure-Time Activity, and Child Weight Status at 3 to 9 Years
- Maternal Physical Activity During Pregnancy, Child Leisure-Time Activity, and Child Weight Status at 3 to 9 Years
- Mudd, Lanay M.; Pivarnik, Jim M.; Pfeiffer, Karin A.; Paneth, Nigel; Chung, Hwan; Holzman, Claudia
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY & HEALTH
- 1543-3080; 1543-5474
- vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 506 - 514
- exercise; pediatrics; epidemiology
- HUMAN KINETICS PUBL INC
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- Background: We sought to evaluate the effects of maternal leisure-time physical activity (LTPA) during pregnancy and current child LTPA on child weight status. Methods: Women with term pregnancies in the Pregnancy Outcomes and-Community-Health Study (1998-2004) were followed-up. A race-stratified subset of participants (cohort A) received extensive follow-up efforts leading to better response rates (592/926 = 64%) and diversity. The remainder (Cohort B) had a lower response rate (418/1629 = 26%). Women reported child height, weight and LTPA at 3 to 9 years (inactive vs. active), and recalled pregnancy LTPA (inactive vs. active). A 4-category maternal/child LTPA variable was created (reference: active pregnancy + active child). Children were classified as healthy weight, overweight, or obese using age- and sex-specific Body Mass Index percentiles. Logistic regression was used to assess the odds of child obesity (reference: healthy weight). Results: In unadjusted analyses, pregnancy inactivity increased odds for obesity when the child was active (1.6 [95% CI, 1.0-2.6] in Cohort A; 2.1 [95% CI, 1.1-4.0] in Cohort B), and more so when the child was inactive (2.4 [95% CI, 1.2-4.9] in Cohort A; 3.0 [95% CI, 1.0-8.8] in Cohort B). Adjustment for covariates attenuated results to statistical nonsignificance but the direction of relations remained. Conclusions: Maternal inactivity during pregnancy may contribute to child obesity risk.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 통계학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.