View : 21 Download: 0
Effective protection of sequential solution-processed polymer/fullerene bilayer solar cell against charge recombination and degradation
- Effective protection of sequential solution-processed polymer/fullerene bilayer solar cell against charge recombination and degradation
- Xie, Lin; Yoon, Soyeon; Cho, Yun Ju; Kim, Kyungkon
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ORGANIC ELECTRONICS
- 1566-1199; 1878-5530
- vol. 25, pp. 212 - 218
- Organic solar cell; Bilayer solar cell; TiO2 interlayer; Charge recombination
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Both charge recombination and degradation in sequential solution processed polymer/fullerene bilayer organic photovoltaics (OPV) are effectively reduced by the insertion of a TiO2 inter-layer between the bilayer and Al electrode. The polymer/fullerene bilayer composed of a poly(3-hexylthiophene) (P3HT) bottom-layer and a [6,6] phenyl C61-butyric acid methyl ester (PCBM) top-layer shows significant change in morphology due to the substantial inter-penetration of P3HT and PCBM during the thermal annealing process. Consequently, the bilayer surface becomes P3HT rich resulting in significant charge recombination at the bilayer/Al interface of the bilayer OPV. The charge recombination rate of the bilayer OPV is reduced by one order of magnitude upon the insertion of a TiO2 nanoparticle inter-layer between the bilayer and the Al electrode after the thermal annealing process. In contrast, when the thermal annealing process is conducted after insertion of the inter-layer, the effect of the TiO2 inter-layer becomes insignificant. The VOC and efficiency of the bilayer OPV is greatly enhanced from 0.37 to 0.66 V and 1.2% to 3.7%, respectively by utilizing the properly constructed TiO2 inter-layer in the bilayer OPV. Additionally, insertion of the TiO2 inter-layer significantly improves the stability of the bilayer OPV. The bilayer OPV with a TiO2 inter-layer maintains 51% of its initial PCE after storage under dark ambient conditions for 700 h without encapsulation, whereas the bilayer OPV without a TiO2 inter-layer did not show any solar cell performance after 200 h under the same conditions. (C) 2015 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.