View : 48 Download: 0
A second order operator splitting method for Allen-Cahn type equations with nonlinear source terms
- A second order operator splitting method for Allen-Cahn type equations with nonlinear source terms
- Lee, Hyun Geun; Lee, June-Yub
- Ewha Authors
- 이준엽; 이현근
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이준엽; 이현근
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS
- 0378-4371; 1873-2119
- vol. 432, pp. 24 - 34
- Vector-valued Allen-Cahn equation; Phase-field equation for dendritic crystal growth; Operator splitting method; Second order convergence; Fourier spectral method
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Allen-Cahn (AC) type equations with nonlinear source terms have been applied to a wide range of problems, for example, the vector-valued AC equation for phase separation and the phase-field equation for dendritic crystal growth. In contrast to the well developed first and second order methods for the AC equation, not many second order methods are suggested for the AC type equations with nonlinear source terms due to the difficulties in dealing with the nonlinear source term numerically. In this paper, we propose a simple and stable second order operator splitting method. A core idea of the method is to decompose the original equation into three subequations with the free-energy evolution term, the heat evolution term, and a nonlinear source term, respectively. It is important to combine these three subequations in proper order to achieve the second order accuracy and stability. We propose a method with a half-time free-energy evolution solver, a half-time heat evolution solver, a full-time midpoint solver for the nonlinear source term, and a half-time heat evolution solver followed by a final half-time free-energy evolution solver. We numerically demonstrate the second order accuracy of the new numerical method through the simulations of the phase separation and the dendritic crystal growth. (C) 2015 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 수학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.