View : 20 Download: 0
PAI-1 inhibits development of chronic otitis media and tympanosclerosis in a mouse model of otitis media
- PAI-1 inhibits development of chronic otitis media and tympanosclerosis in a mouse model of otitis media
- Shin, Seul Gi; Koh, Seo Hyun; Woo, Chang-Hoon; Lim, Jae Hyang
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ACTA OTO-LARYNGOLOGICA
- 0001-6489; 1651-2251
- vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 1231 - 1238
- Nontypable Haemophilus influenzae; type 1 plasminogen activator inhibitor; inflammation
- INFORMA HEALTHCARE
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Conclusion: Bullae of type 1 plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) knockout (KO) mice showed low levels of inflammation against nontypable Haemophilus influenzae (NTHi) at the early stage of otitis media (OM). However, PAI-1 KO mice fail to terminate inflammation, which may significantly contribute to the development of tympanosclerosis in PAI-1 KO mice. Objective: To investigate the role of PAI-1 in the pathogenesis of OM and subsequent tympanosclerosis. Methods: OM was induced with NTHi in PAI-1 KO and background control C57BL/6 mice. mRNA expression of PAI-1, tissue-type plasminogen activator (tPA), and urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) was measured in the bullae of C57BL/6 mice. mRNA expression of interleukin (IL)-1 beta, tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha, macrophage inflammatory protein (MIP-2), tPA, and uPA in PAI-1 KO and C57BL/6 mice was compared. Histological changes produced by OM were compared at 1, 3, and 7 days after NTHi inoculation. Results: NTHi up-regulated the expression of PAI-1 and tPA in the bullae of C57BL/6 mice, but not uPA. mRNA expression of IL-1 beta, TNF alpha, and MIP-2 was low in PAI-1 KO mice at early time points, but significantly higher at the later stage of OM. Similarly to the gene expression results, histological changes associated with OM were less at days 1 and 3 in PAI-1 KO mice. However, unlike the gradual resolution of OM pathologies in C57BL/6 mice, PAI-1 KO mice showed significant pathological changes of tympanosclerosis.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.