View : 61 Download: 0
Kinetic Study on SNAr Reaction of 1-Y-Substituted-phenoxy-2,4-dinitrobenzenes with Hydroxide Ion: Effect of Substituent Y on Reactivity and Reaction Mechanism
- Kinetic Study on SNAr Reaction of 1-Y-Substituted-phenoxy-2,4-dinitrobenzenes with Hydroxide Ion: Effect of Substituent Y on Reactivity and Reaction Mechanism
- Kang, Tae-Ah; Cho, Hyo-Jin; Um, Ik-Hwan
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BULLETIN OF THE KOREAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY
- 0253-2964; 1229-5949
- vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 2135 - 2138
- SNAr reaction; 1-Phenoxy-2,4-dinitrobenzene; Bronsted-type plot; Hammett plot; Reaction mechanism
- KOREAN CHEMICAL SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- A kinetic study is reported for the SNAr reaction of 1-Y-substituted-phenoxy-2,4-dinitrobenzenes (1a-1h) with OH- in 80 mol % H2O/20 mol % DMSO at 25.0 +/- 0.1 degrees C. The second-order rate constant (k(OH)-) increases as the substituent Y in the leaving group changes from an electron-donating group (EDG) to an electron-withdrawing group (EWG). The Bronsted-type plot for the reactions of 1a-1h is linear with beta(lg) = -0.16, indicating that the reactivity of substrates 1a-1h is little affected by the leaving-group basicity. A linear Bronsted-type plot with beta(lg) = -0.3 +/- 0.1 is typical for reactions reported previously to proceed through a stepwise mechanism in which formation of a Meisenheimer complex is the rate-determining step (RDS). The Hammett plot correlated with ay constants results in a much better correlation than that correlated with cry constants, implyng that no negative charge is developing on the O atom of the leaving group (or expulsion of the leaving group is not advanced at all in the TS). This excludes a possibility that the SNAr reaction of 1a-1h with OH- proceeds through a concerted mechanism or via a stepwise pathway with expulsion of the leaving group being the RDS. Thus, the current reactions have been concluded to proceed through a stepwise mechanism in which expulsion of the leaving group occurs rapidly after the RDS.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.