View : 47 Download: 0
Structure and thermoelectric properties of Ba6Ge25-x, Ba6Ge23Sn2, and Ba6Ge22In3: Zintl phases with a chiral clathrate structure
- Structure and thermoelectric properties of Ba6Ge25-x, Ba6Ge23Sn2, and Ba6Ge22In3: Zintl phases with a chiral clathrate structure
- Kim, SJ; Hu, SQ; Uher, C; Hogan, T; Huang, BQ; Corbett, JD; Kanatzidis, MG
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY
- vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 321 - 329
- chiral clathrate; thermoelectric; zintl phase; phonon gas; electron crystal
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- A single phase of Ba6Ge25-x (x similar to 1) was obtained from a direct element combination reaction in a sealed graphite tube at 830 degrees C, Its structure was determined by single-crystal X-ray diffraction methods, Ba6Ge25-x adopts the chiral cubic space group P4(1)32 (No, 213) with dimensions of a = 14.5483(2) Angstrom and Z = 4, The structure consists of helical chains of Ba atom-centered pentagonal dodecahedra, Ba@Ge-20, and zeolite-like cages formed by those chains. There are vacancies distributed over the Ge sites giving a composition of Ba6Ge24, in which charge balance according to the Zintl formalism is retained, The compound therefore satisfies the classical Zintl concept, Polycrystalline ingots of Ba6Ge25-x showed an electrical conductivity of 2000 S/cm and a Seebeck coefficient of -18 mu V/K at room temperature. An anomalous broad transition in the electrical conductivity and Seebeck coefficient was observed at similar to 100 K, Ba6Ge23.32Sn1.68 and Ba6Ge21.93In3.07 as ternary derivatives of Ba6Ge25-x were also synthesized and their structural and physical properties compared with those of Ba6Ge25-x. (C) 2000 Academic Press.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.