View : 20 Download: 0

In Vitro Sonographic Evaluation of Sentinel Lymph Nodes for Detecting Metastasis in Breast Cancer: Comparison with Histopathologic Results

Title
In Vitro Sonographic Evaluation of Sentinel Lymph Nodes for Detecting Metastasis in Breast Cancer: Comparison with Histopathologic Results
Authors
신정희
Issue Date
2005
Department/Major
대학원 의학과
Publisher
이화여자대학교 대학원
Degree
Doctor
Abstract
In patients with breast cancer, lymph node (LN) metastasis is an important prognostic factor that indicates the need for therapeutic LN dissection. It is well recognized that sentinel LN biopsy is a minimally invasive method for evaluating axillary LN status in patients with breast cancer. Recently, sentinel LN biopsy has replaced routine axillary lymph node dissection for most breast cancer patients with clinically normal lymph nodes. Intraoperative evaluation of sentinel LNs has the benefit of affording both the surgeon and the patient the opportunity to complete the axillary dissection in the same surgical setting if the results for a sentinel LN are positive. The key issue is how to study nodes undergoing biopsy intraoperatively quickly and with the highest possible accuracy. The value of routine intraoperative sentinel LN frozen sections is controversial, with wide variation in results and recommendations. Therefore, techniques that could accurately detect sentinel LN metastases would be important to determine the extent of axillary dissection. The purpose of this study was to assess the accuracy and the effectiveness of in vitro sonography of sentinel lymph nodes (LNs) for differentiating benignity from metastasis during breast cancer operations. Two hundred twenty-one fresh sentinel LNs obtained during surgery were examined by in vitro sonography to detect metastasis in 46 patients with breast cancer. Sonographic criteria of malignant LNs were defined as uneven cortical thickness of greater than 3 mm in depth, round hypoechoic nodes, and the absence of an echogenic hilum. Histopathologic results were correlated with those obtained by the sonographic study. Statistical analysis was performed with a kappa value to evaluate the accuracy of in vitro sonography of sentinel LNs. The results were summarized as follows: 1. On sonographic examination, 190 (85.6%) of the 221 sentinel LNs were benign. Among the 190 benign LNs, in only 8 (4.2%) was the presence of metastasis pathologically proved, which indicated focal micrometastasis in the cortex. 2. Thirty-one sentinel LNs were sonographically positive. In 19 (61.3%) of the 31 sentinel LNs, metastasis was pathologically confirmed. The remaining 12 sonographically positive LNs (38.7%) did not reveal any histologically malignant cells. 3. The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, and accuracy were 70.4%, 93.8%, 61.3%, 95.8%, and 91.0%, respectively. The kappa value was 0.59 with a 95% confidence interval. The level of agreement was fair to good. In conclusion, the in vitro sonographic evaluation of the sentinel LNs during breast cancer operations may be a reliable method of predicting nodal metastasis and may be helpful in deciding the extent of LN dissection.;유방암 환자에 있어 림프절 전이가 있다면 치료적 림프절절제술이 필요하게 된다. 감시림프절 조직검사는 유방암 환자에서 액와 림프절의 상태를 알아보는 최소한의 침습적인 방법이다. 최근 들어, 감시림프절 조직검사는 임상적으로 정상 림프절을 가진 대부분의 유방암 환자에 있어 관례적인 액와 림프절 절제술을 대신해 왔다. 감시림프절을 유방암 수술중에 검사할 수 있어 감시림프절이 악성의 결과를 보인다면 동시에 완전 액와 절제술을 시행할 수 있어 외과의와 환자 모두에게 잇점을 주게 된다. 중요한 점은 수술중에 어떤 방법으로 빠르고 가장 정확하게 림프절을 검사하느냐이다. 수술중에 감시림프절은 관례적으로 냉동 절편을 시행해 왔으나 그 정확성을 높이기 위해 보조적 검사가 요구되고 있다. 이와 같이, 감시림프절 전이를 검사하는 가장 정확한 방법은 액와 절제술의 범위를 결정하는 데 중요할 것이다. 본 연구의 목적은 유방암 수술 중에 감시림프절의 전이 유무를 감별하는데 생체 외 초음파의 정확성과 유용성을 알아보고자 하였다. 유방암을 가진 46명의 환자에서 전이를 알아 보기 위해 수술동안 221개의 감시림프절을 얻었으며 생체 외 초음파 검사를 하였다. 악성 림프절의 초음파 기준은 깊이가 3mm이상의 비균형의 피질 두께, 원형의 저에코성 림프절, 그리고 고에코성의 림프절 문의 소실로 정의하였다. 병리 결과와 초음파 결과를 비교하였다. 통계적 분석은 감시림프절의 생체 외 초음파와 병리 결과의 일치도를 알아보고자 Kappa 값을 이용하였다. 결과는 다음과 같다. 1. 초음파에서 221개의 감시림프절 중 190개 (85.6%) 는 양성이었다. 190개 중에서 병리적으로 8개 (4.2%) 만이 전이가 있었고 이들은 피질에 국소적인 미세전이였다. 2. 31개의 감시 림프절은 초음파에서 악성이었다. 31개 중에 19개 (61.3%) 는 감시림프절에서 병리적으로 전이가 확인되었다. 나머지 12개의 림프절 (38.7%) 은 초음파에서 악성이었으나 병리적으로 악성 세포가 관찰되지 않았다. 3. 생체 외 초음파의 예민도는 70.4%, 특이도는 93.3%, 양성 예측치는 59.4%, 음성 예측치는 95.7%, 정확도는 90.5%이었다. Kappa값은 95%신뢰구간에서 0.59였다. 초음파와 병리결과와의 일치도는 양호에서 우수를 보였다. 결론적으로 유방암 수술중에 감시림프절의 생체 외 초음파 검사는 림프절 전이를 예견하는 데 신뢰할 만한 검사법이고 림프절 절제의 범위를 결정하는 데 도움을 줄 수 있다.
Fulltext
Show the fulltext
Appears in Collections:
일반대학원 > 의학과 > Theses_Ph.D
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE