View : 14 Download: 0
Anti-allergic activities of Umbelliferone against histamine- and Picryl chloride-induced ear edema by targeting Nrf2/iNOS signaling in mice
- Anti-allergic activities of Umbelliferone against histamine- and Picryl chloride-induced ear edema by targeting Nrf2/iNOS signaling in mice
- Younas; Khan A.; Shehzad O.; Seo E.K.; Onder A.; Khan S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies
- BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies vol. 21, no. 1
- Antioxidant; Inflammation; Oxidative stress; Picryl chloride; Umbelliferone
- BioMed Central Ltd
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: The current study was aimed to investigate the anti-allergic activities of the Umbelliferone (UMB) against the acute Histamine and chronic Picryl chloride (PiCl)-induced allergy in mice. UMB is a coumarin derivative (isolated from Angelica decursiva) found in various parts of the plants such as flowers, roots and, stems isolated from the plants of Umbelliferae family. Methods: The UMB (1, 10, 50 mg/kg) was administered intraperitoneally (i.p) half an h before or 2 h after the induction of allergic ear edema. The acute ear edema was induced by histamine (intradermally, i.d), while the chronic ear edema was induced by painting the PiCl (sensitized with the toluene) on the ear. The antioxidants and oxidative stress markers were assessed. The histological changes were assessed using Hematoxylin and eosin (H and E) and giemsa staining. The immunohistochemistry studies were performed to assess the expression of the nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS). The data was analyzed using one-way ANOVA tests followed by Tukey’s test with p < 0.05 was chosen as criteria for statistical significance. Results: UMB treatment markedly reduced the allergic ear edema and ear weight compared to the negative control. Furthermore, the UMB attenuated the oxidative stress markers, while induced the antioxidants enzymes. Similarly, the UMB treatment significantly attenuated the serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) level. The UMB treatment markedly improved the histological parameters using H and E staining and Giemsa staining. The UMB administration induced the Nrf2 expression, while attenuated the iNOS expression. Furthermore, the computational analysis was performed to assess the interaction of the UMB with the various protein targets and to determine the mechanism of interaction with the target proteins. Conclusion: In conclusion, the UMB treatment significantly alleviated the allergic symptoms, attenuating the oxidative stress, improved the histological features using in vivo and computational approaches. © 2021, The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.