View : 43 Download: 0
The effects of auricular acupressure on the sleep of the elderly using polysomnography, actigraphy and blood test: Randomized, single-blind, sham control
- The effects of auricular acupressure on the sleep of the elderly using polysomnography, actigraphy and blood test: Randomized, single-blind, sham control
- Min, Juyon; Kim, Bomi; Park, Hyojung
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES IN CLINICAL PRACTICE
- COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES IN CLINICAL PRACTICE vol. 45
- Acupressure; Aged; Polysomnography; Actigraphy; Sleep
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Aim: This study was conducted to examine the effects of auricular acupressure on sleep in elderly people with sleep disorders. Methods: This was a randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled study. The participants aged over 65 years old were randomly assigned to the experimental group (n = 21) and the sham control group (n = 21). The participants in the experimental group and the sham control group received auricular acupressure on sleep-disorderrelated points or to sleep-disorder-unrelated points, respectively. The intervention was implemented for a total of eight weeks. To validate the effects of the treatment, polysomnography with the Alice portable sleep diagnostic system; actigraphy with Fitbit Alta; and melatonin, serotonin, and cortisol blood tests were conducted. Results: Non-Rapid Eye Movement sleep stage 3 duration change (Z = -2.187, p = .029) and Non-Rapid Eye Movement sleep stage 3 ratio change (Z = -2.423, p = .014), measured by polysomnography, of the experimental group showed a significant increase over time compared to the sham control group. Conclusions: Auricular acupressure applied for eight weeks was found to be effective in increasing Non-Rapid Eye Movement sleep stage 3 duration and Non-Rapid Eye Movement sleep stage 3 ratio among sleep stages of the elderly. Consequently, it showed that auricular acupressure can be used as a proven nursing intervention method for sleep disorder in elders to increase deep sleep duration and ratio.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.