View : 52 Download: 0
Suboptimal management status of younger hypertensive population in Korea
- Suboptimal management status of younger hypertensive population in Korea
- Lee H.-Y.; Oh G.C.; Sohn I.S.; Park S.; Shin J.; Pyun W.B.; Cho M.-C.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Korean Circulation Journal
- Korean Circulation Journal vol. 51, no. 6
- Awareness; Hypertension; Therapeutics; Young adult
- Korean Society of Circulation
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Background and Objectives: Hypertension (HTN) is the most contributable risk factor for cardiovascular disease. May Measurement Month (MMM) is a global initiative to raise awareness of HTN and act as a temporary solution to the lack of screening programs worldwide. Methods: An opportunistic cross-sectional survey of participants aged ≥18 was carried out in May 2019. Over 10,000 participants were recruited in the MMM 2019 Korea, with a slogan of "A simple measure to save lives. #checkyourpressure."Results: A total of 9,950 participants with valid clinical blood pressure (BP) data were used for analysis. All participants were Korean in ethnicity. The mean age was 57.2±21.2 years, 57.8% were females, and the mean body mass index was 23.4±3.3 kg/m2. Among the enrolled population, 20.1% were less than 30 years old, and 5.0% were 30.39 years old. 37.0% of the participants reported a previous diagnosis of HTN, and 91.3% of those diagnosed were on antihypertensive medications. Notably, more than 20% of the participants had not measured their BP during the last 12 months, and the awareness rate in the young hypertensive participants (aged <40) was less than 10%. Among hypertensive participants, the treatment rate was 69.3%, and the control rate among those taking medications was 61.2%. Conclusion: MMM 2019 Korea campaign reported high BP control rates in individuals with HTN, reaching 60%. However, the awareness rate in young hypertensive participants was less than 10% along with suboptimal management status. The MMM 2019 Korea again raised the importance of regular BP measurement in the younger population. © 2021. The Korean Society of Cardiology.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.