View : 246 Download: 0
Quaternized chitosan-based anion exchange membrane for alkaline direct methanol fuel cells
- Quaternized chitosan-based anion exchange membrane for alkaline direct methanol fuel cells
- Ryu, Jeongkwan; Seo, Jung Yong; Choi, Bit Na; Kim, Woo-Jae; Chung, Chan-Hwa
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL AND ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY
- JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL AND ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY vol. 73, pp. 254 - 259
- Anion exchange membrane; Quaternized chitosan; Vinylimidazole; High ionic conductivity; Alkaline direct methanol fuel cells
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- We synthesized a novel quaternized anion exchange membrane (AEM) that exhibits high ionic conductivity and structural stability, even under high pH conditions, by copolymerizing a chitosan-based membrane with vinylimidazole derivatives. During the process, a quaternized poly[O-(2-imidazolyethylene)-N-picolylchitosan (QPIENPC) was synthesized by modifying chitosan with a 4-pyridinecarboxaldehyde derivative and then copolymerizing the modified chitosan with 1-vinylimidzaole. The results revealed that the degree of quaternization is correlated with ionic exchange capacity, water absorption ability, linear expansion ratio, and hydroxide conductivity of the resulting membrane. The QPIENPC membrane was characterized by a high ionic conductivity of 10.15 mS cm(-1), 14 times greater that of the unfunctionalized chitosan membrane, as well as by low water absorption ability (36.17%) and linear expansion ratio (20.49%) at 80 degrees C. An alkaline direct methanol fuel cell (ADMFC) was fabricated using the prepared QPIENPC membrane as an anion exchange electrolyte membrane, with PtRu/C and Pt/C as the anode and cathode, respectively. The performance of this ADMFC is promising even under high pH conditions, with the peak power density of 10.42 mW cm(-2) and corresponding current density of 28.76 mA cm(-2). Moreover, the thermochemical and mechanical strengths of the QPIENPC membrane were higher than those of the chitosan membrane. (C) 2019 The Korean Society of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 화학신소재공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.