View : 296 Download: 0
Intracellular transformation rates of fatty acids are influenced by expression of the fatty acid transporter FadL in Escherichia coli cell membrane
- Intracellular transformation rates of fatty acids are influenced by expression of the fatty acid transporter FadL in Escherichia coli cell membrane
- Jeon, Eun-Yeong; Song, Ji-Won; Cha, Hee-Jeong; Lee, Sun-Mee; Lee, Jinwon; Park, Jin-Byung
- Ewha Authors
- 박진병; 송지원
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF BIOTECHNOLOGY vol. 281, pp. 161 - 167
- Long-chain fatty acid transporter FadL; Fatty acids; Whole cell biotransformation; Escherichia coli
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Fatty acids have a low permeability through the cell membrane. Therefore, the intracellular biotransformation of fatty acids can be slow due to supply limitations. The effects of expression level of the fatty acid transporter FadL in Escherichia coli on the biotransformations were investigated. The enhanced expression of FadL led to 5.5-fold increase of the maximum reaction rate V-max (i.e., 200 mu mol/min per g dry cells (200 U/g dry cells)) of the recombinant E. coli expressing a hydratase of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in the periplasm with respect to hydration of oleic acid. The FadL expression level was also critical for oxidation of 12- and 10-hydroxyoctadecanoic acid by the recombinant E. coli expressing an alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) of Micrococcus luteus. In addition, the multistep biotransformation of ricinoleic acid into the ester (i.e., (Z)-11-(heptanoyloxy) undec-9-enoic acid) by the recombinant E. coli expressing the ADH of M. luteus and a Baeyer-Villiger monooxygenase of Pseudomonas putida KT2440 was 2-fold increased to 40 U/g dry cells with expression of FadL to an appropriate level. The FadL expression level is one of the critical factors to determine whole-cell biotransformation rates of not only long chain fatty acids but also hydroxy fatty acids. This study may contribute to whole-cell biocatalyst engineering for biotransformation of hydrophobic substances.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.