View : 218 Download: 0
A rational method to kinetically control the rate-determining step to explore efficient electrocatalysts for the oxygen evolution reaction
- A rational method to kinetically control the rate-determining step to explore efficient electrocatalysts for the oxygen evolution reaction
- Kwon, Nam Hee; Kim, Minho; Jin, Xiaoyan; Lim, Joohyun; Kim, In Young; Lee, Nam-Suk; Kim, Hyungjun; Hwang, Seong-Ju
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- NPG ASIA MATERIALS
- NPG ASIA MATERIALS vol. 10, pp. 659 - 669
- NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- A novel, rational, and efficient way to explore high-performance electrocatalysts was developed by controlling the reaction kinetics of the rate-determining step (RDS). Density functional theory (DFT) calculations demonstrate that the RDS for the oxygen evolution reaction driven by transition metal hydroxides/oxides, i.e., surface adsorption of (OH-/OOH center dot) species, can be significantly promoted by increasing the electrophilicity of electrocatalysts via hybridization with electron-withdrawing inorganic nanosheets. As predicted by DFT calculation, the hybridization of Ni-Fe-layered double hydroxide (LDH)/Ni-Co-LDH, with RuO2 nanosheets (1.0 wt%) leads to significant lowering of the overpotentials to 207/276 mV at 10 mA cm(-2), i.e., one of the smallest overpotentials for LDH-based materials, with the increase in the current density. The necessity of a very small amount of RuO2 nanosheets (1.0 wt%) to optimize the electrocatalyst activity highlights the remarkably high efficiency of the RuO2 addition. The present study underscores the importance of kinetic control of the RDS via hybridization with electron-withdrawing species for exploring novel efficient electrocatalysts.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.