View : 268 Download: 0
Testing an explanatory model for preventing college students' problem gambling
- Testing an explanatory model for preventing college students' problem gambling
- Park H.; Kim S.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing
- Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 97 - 107
- Pathological gambling; Self-control; Structural models; Students
- Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Purpose: A mediated model of Korean college students' problem gambling based on Blaszczynski and Nower's pathway model is developed and tested to explore mediating roles of self-control and irrational gambling beliefs in the association between emotionally vulnerable variables and problem gambling. Methods: 273 student participants recruited from 4 universities in Seoul and Gyeonggi, Korea responded. Data were collected with a structured self-report questionnaire comprising measures of problem gambling, depression, anxiety, coping styles, irrational gambling belief, and self-control. Results: The modified research model provides a reasonable fit to the data. Depression, anxiety, reflective coping, irrational beliefs, and self-control turned out to have direct effects on problem gambling, while indirect effects were reported in some suppressive and reactive styles. These predictors account for 38% of the college students' problem gambling. Conclusion: The findings suggest that developing intervention programs for reducing depression, anxiety, irrational gambling beliefs, and increasing reflective coping and self-control are needed to prevent Korean college students'problem gambling. © 2018 Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.