View : 404 Download: 0
Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on mitochondrial DNA replication and PGC-1α gene expression in C2C12 muscle cells
- Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on mitochondrial DNA replication and PGC-1α gene expression in C2C12 muscle cells
- Lee M.-S.; Shin Y.; Moon S.; Kim S.; Kim Y.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Preventive Nutrition and Food Science
- Preventive Nutrition and Food Science vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 317 - 322
- DHA; EPA; MtDNA; Muscle cells; PGC-1α
- Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Mitochondrial biogenesis is a complex process requiring coordinated expression of nuclear and mitochondrial genomes. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1-alpha (PGC-1α) is a key regulator of mitochondrial biogenesis, and it controls mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) replication within diverse tissues, including muscle tissue. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) on mtDNA copy number and PGC-1α promoter activity in C2C12 muscle cells. mtDNA copy number and mRNA levels of genes related to mitochondrial biogenesis such as PGC-1α, nuclear respiratory factor 1 (NRF1) and mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) were assayed by quantitative real-time PCR. The PGC-1α promoter from-970 to +412 bp was subcloned into the pGL3-basic vector, which includes a luciferase reporter gene. Both EPA and DHA significantly increased mtDNA copy number, dose and time dependently, and up-regulated mRNA levels of PGC-1α, NRF1, and Tfam. Furthermore, EPA and DHA stimulated PGC-1α promoter activity in a dose-dependent manner. These results suggest that EPA and DHA may modulate mitochondrial biogenesis, which was partially associated with increased mtDNA replication and PGC-1α gene expression in C2C12 muscle cells. Copyright © 2016 by The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. All rights Reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.