View : 413 Download: 151
Effects of a Dietary Supplement with Barley Sprout Extract on Blood Cholesterol Metabolism
- Effects of a Dietary Supplement with Barley Sprout Extract on Blood Cholesterol Metabolism
- Byun A.R.; Chun H.; Lee J.; Lee S.W.; Lee H.S.; Shim K.W.
- Ewha Authors
- 이상화; 이홍수; 심경원; 전혜진
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이상화; 이홍수; 심경원; 전혜진
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine vol. 2015
- Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Objective. Barley sprout (Hordeum vulgare L.) contains 4.97% fat, 52.6% polysaccharide, and 34.1% protein along with a variety of vitamins, minerals, and polyphenolic compounds. Hexacosanol is one such compound from the barley leaf that might improve cholesterol metabolism by decreasing cholesterol synthesis. Method. Therefore, this study was conducted to investigate the effects of barley sprout extract on serum lipid metabolism in healthy volunteers (n = 51). Subjects were randomly divided into two groups: one group consumed a single capsule of barley leaf extract daily (n = 25, 42.48 ± 13.58 years) and the other consumed placebo capsules (n = 26, 40.54 ± 11.1 years) for 12 weeks. Results. After 12 weeks, total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein- (LDL-) cholesterol were not lower in the barley sprout extract group compared to the placebo group (p = 0.415 and p = 0.351, resp.) and no differences in clinical or laboratory findings were observed between both groups. Conclusion. Our study failed to show significant lipid-lowering effects of barley sprout extract, possibly due to dosage, duration of therapy, and small sample size. Despite our nonsignificant findings, barley sprout has a possibility as a functional health food; therefore future research is needed. © 2015 A Ri Byun et al.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.