View : 319 Download: 0
Do patients with elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritis have severe functional disability?
- Do patients with elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritis have severe functional disability?
- Cho S.-K.; Sung Y.-K.; Choi C.-B.; Cha H.-S.; Choe J.-Y.; Chung W.T.; Hong S.-J.; Jun J.-B.; Kim J.; Kim T.-H.; Kim T.-J.; Koh E.-M.; Lee H.-S.; Lee J.; Lee S.-S.; Lee S.W.; Yoo D.-H.; Yoon B.Y.; Bae S.-C.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism
- Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 23 - 31
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Objective: To identify the clinical features of elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritis (EORA) and their impact on disease outcome. Methods: A total of 3169 rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients were recruited as part of the Korean Observational Study Network for Arthritis, the nationwide cohort of South Korea. Patients were stratified according to age at disease onset: <40 years (younger age-onset RA, n = 1167), between the ages of 40 and 59 (middle-aged-onset RA, n = 1516), and ≥60 years (EORA, n = 486). To evaluate the significance of differences in clinical features among these 3 groups, we performed analysis of variance (anova) and the χ2 test. We used multivariable logistic regression analysis to examine the association of onset age with functional disability measured with Health Assessment Questionnaire-Disability Index (HAQDI). Results: EORA patients were associated with high HAQDI (≥1) in bivariable analysis [odds ratio (OR) 1.36, confidence interval (CI) 1.04-1.77]. However, in multivariable analysis, not elderly onset but patients' age, female gender, high disease activity, disease duration over 10 years, and comorbidity with cardiovascular disease were associated with high HAQDI. Only in a predefined subgroup with disease duration <10 years, elderly onset was an independent influencing factor for the functional disability of RA patients (OR 3.04, CI 1.85-5.67: disease duration of <5 years, OR 3.07, CI 1.64-5.74: disease duration of 5 to 10 years). Conclusions: Disease onset in older age was associated independently with functional disability of RA patients who have relatively short disease duration. © 2012 Elsevier Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.