View : 259 Download: 0
Low resolution of mitochondrial COI barcodes for identifying species of the genus Larus (Charadriiformes: Laridae)
- Low resolution of mitochondrial COI barcodes for identifying species of the genus Larus (Charadriiformes: Laridae)
- Kwon Y.S.; Kim J.H.; Choe J.C.; Park Y.C.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Mitochondrial DNA
- Mitochondrial DNA vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 157 - 166
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- We evaluated whether cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COI) barcodes that have been previously suggested for birds are useful for identifying species of the genus Larus, which are resident or migratory birds in Korea. We found 31 intra- or interspecific COI haplotypes from 12 of 13 Larus species in Korea. Haplotype analyses showed that the COI barcodes could not distinguish some interspecific haplotypes from 6 of 12 Larus species because there were no nucleotide substitutions among their COI haplotypes. The neighbor-joining tree formed shallow branches in the clades expected for L. saundersi, L. crassirostris, L. canus, L relictus, and L. ridbundus. In the nine Larus species, COI haplotypes were not grouped as distinct entities that were correctly assigned to their corresponding species, resulting in polytypic clades. These results indicate that the COI sequences need to be cautiously selected as a DNA barcode for identifying species of Korean Larus birds. © 2012 Informa UK, Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.