View : 203 Download: 70
Mutational analysis of whole mitochondrial DNA in patients with MELAS and MERRF diseases
- Mutational analysis of whole mitochondrial DNA in patients with MELAS and MERRF diseases
- Choi B.-O.; Hwang J.H.; Cho E.M.; Jeong E.H.; Hyun Y.S.; Jeon H.J.; Seong K.M.; Cho N.S.; Chung K.W.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Experimental and Molecular Medicine
- Experimental and Molecular Medicine vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 446 - 455
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Mitochondrial diseases are clinically and genetically heterogeneous disorders, which make the exact diagnosis and classification difficult. The purpose of this study was to identify pathogenic mtDNA mutations in 61 Korean unrelated families (or isolated patients) with MELAS or MERRF. In particular, the mtDNA sequences were completely determined for 49 patients. From the mutational analysis of mtDNA obtained from blood, 5 confirmed pathogenic mutations were identified in 17 families, and 4 unreported pathogenically suspected mutations were identified in 4 families. The m.3243A>G in the tRNALeu(UUR) was predominantly observed in 10 MELAS families, and followed by m.8344A>G in the tRNALys of 4 MERRF families. Most pathogenic mutations showed heteroplasmy, and the rates were considerably different within the familial members. Patients with a higher rate of mutations showed a tendency of having more severe clinical phenotypes, but not in all cases. This study will be helpful for the molecular diagnosis of mitochondrial diseases, as well as establishment of mtDNA database in Koreans.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Mutational analysis of whole mitochondrial DNA in patients with MELAS and MERRF diseases.pdf(444.69 kB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.