View : 598 Download: 0
Diagnostic efficacy of the alvarado score according to age in acute appendicitis
- Diagnostic efficacy of the alvarado score according to age in acute appendicitis
- Oh B.-Y.; Kim K.-H.; Lee R.-A.; Chung S.S.
- Ewha Authors
- 김광호; 이령아; 정순섭
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김광호; 이령아; 정순섭
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Korean Surgical Society
- Journal of the Korean Surgical Society vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 100 - 105
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Purpose: This study aims to assess the diagnostic efficacy of the Alvarado score and to determine cut-off values of Alvarado score according to age for deciding on the options for patients with suspected appendicitis. Methods: From October 2008 to January 2009, we prospectively reviewed 152 patients with suspected appendicitis. The patients were classified into adults and children groups. We then determined cut-off values of the Alvarado score by analyzing each score's sensitivity and specificity. Results: Of the 147 patients, 96 patients were adults and 51 were children. The mean Alvarado score for adults and children were 6.08±1.85, and 6.69±1.43 in appendicitis and 4.32±2.02, and 4.60±1.81 in non-appendicitis, respectively. In adults, the sensitivity of the Alvarado scores 7 or higher for appendicitis was 66.2%, and the specificity was 67.7%. And the sensitivity of the Alvarado scores 4 or lower for non-appendicitis was 58.1%, and the specificity was 81.5%. In children, the sensitivity of the Alvarado scores 7 or higher for appendicitis was 80.8%, and the specificity was 68.0%. And the sensitivity of the Alvarado scores 4 or lower for non-appendicitis was 52.0%, and the specificity was 92.3%. Conclusion: The cut-off values for Alvarado score were not different according to age of the patient. If the Alvarado score is 7 or higher, surgical management is recommended, and if the Alvarado score is 4 or lower, observation without CT or US is recommended. In equivocal appendicitis as defined by the Alvarado scores 5 to 6, adjunctive CT or US are recommended to confirm appendicitis.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.