View : 285 Download: 0
Improvement of distillation and extraction conditions for analysis of propionic acid in bakery products
- Improvement of distillation and extraction conditions for analysis of propionic acid in bakery products
- Chung, HJ; Jang, YJ; Lee, MS; Oh, S
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- FOOD SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- FOOD SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 337 - 341
- propionic acid; gas chromatography; recovery; extraction; distillation
- KOREAN SOCIETY FOOD SCIENCE &
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Propionates including propionic acid, sodium propionate and calcium propionate have been permitted in Korea to prevent rope and growth of mold in bakery products. Steam distillation, ion exchange chromatography and successive gas chromatography have been taken as an official method to analyze propionic acid in foods. Recovery of propionate in bakery products has been reported as 50-60%, which is relatively low. In this study, less effective ion exchange chromatography was omitted. Better recovery of propionic acid was achieved by adjusting distillation conditions using 20% of phosphoric acid and 300 mL distillate volume. Well defined extraction conditions with salt resulted in 80-90% of propionic acid recovery in bakery products. The improved analytical method gave consistent recovery (80-90%) of propionic acid when various bakery products were analyzed.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.