View : 611 Download: 0
Journey to Festivals around the world
- Journey to Festivals around the world
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Deborah Sukyung Chin
- Reading ability is fundamental in modern society not only in real life but also in taking the Korean college entrance exam. To develop reading ability, it is necessary for students to be exposed to a wide variety of genre of authentic reading materials. According to McNamara (2008), students need to understand different genre of text. They also need to understand the relationships between the sentences and the meaning of the text. On the other hand, Korean students have learned to translate sentences from their readings and learn grammar items separately in English classes. Most of the high schools focus on teaching reading text only to get better scores in the Korean college entrance exam. Therefore, students have difficulty applying their grammar knowledge in their readings. According to Son & Kim (2000), 56 percent of ninety-five 3rd high school students in Gangnam have trouble in comprehending the grammar in their readings. Therefore, they can’t produce the same grammar in their reading.
In order to read more effectively, it can be helpful to learn reading skills and strategies through interesting reading materials. There are five important parts of reading which include schema, language skills and automaticity, vocabulary, reading strategy training, and reading-writing relations (Grabe, 1991). This textbook will help students improve reading skills, learn vocabulary, and grammar in context.
The target students are high-school students taking after-school programs. According to ACTFL, their proficiency levels range from mid to high intermediate. Students are able to understand short, non-complex texts fully and some connected texts featuring descriptions and narrations. They can also deal with personal and social topics that elicit personal interest or knowledge. However, students don’t fully understand reading materials, which include difficult grammar items or vocabulary.
- ☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.
- Show the fulltextShow the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.