View : 377 Download: 0
Cooperative Learning with Authentic Reading Materials
- Cooperative Learning with Authentic Reading Materials
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Laura Eunae Park
- In Korea, English education is very important and most parents want their children to begin as early as possible. Although the English education curriculum in elementary schools starts from the third grade, the government has begun to allow public schools to teach English to first and second graders in after-school programs. Also, the Ministry of Education has revealed that almost 73% of the students take part in these after-school programs . After-school programs currently play an important role in public schools and various teaching materials and methods are being used to create effective lessons for the students. However, as children move up to higher grade levels, they end up studying English with grammar reference books, which use grammar-translation approaches. Although this may be helpful for taking school exams, students do not have the opportunity to encounter authentic English for communication. The purpose of this portfolio is, therefore, to provide meaningful input through authentic reading materials such as newspaper or magazine articles which have a variety of interesting topics to raise the students’ motivation.
The target audience will be sixth graders in an elementary school enrolled in an after-school English program. The class will consist of fifteen boys and girls and the main goal will focus on increasing the students' critical thinking skills as well as improving their English language skills. Most students began learning English at a young age at private language institutes. As a result, they are accustomed to English-only lessons, and they are able to engage in simple English conversations. Their language proficiency level is approximately level 4 according to the WIDA 2012 Amplified ELD Standards. The students have a lot of curiosity about real world matters and they want to learn English beyond school textbooks.
- 석사학위를 수여받기 위해 제출된 포트폴리오임;☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.
- Show the fulltextShow the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.