View : 399 Download: 0
Business English for Plant Engineers
- Business English for Plant Engineers
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Warren Euwon Chung
- According to the press release by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, South Korea had recorded a historic amount of contracts for overseas plants in the 1st half of 2014 and contracts grew by 20.2% year-on-year. As a result plant engineers have more opportunities to work abroad. However, experienced engineers, who have worked for the company for 5-10 years, have been sent to overseas sites without any language preparation. Engineers should handle official documents as well as P&ID (piping and instrumentation diagrams) at the construction site to carry out their role. Generally, companies sent another employee as an interpreter at each site. But it is cost inefficient and one employee cannot handle all the work. Thus, companies try to enhance engineers’ language proficiency.
This textbook is primarily intended for employees at an environmental engineering company carrying out EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) projects. These engineers have various specialties and are preparing to be transferred to an overseas site in the near future. The target students include 10 male engineers (mechanical, electrical, civil and process) in their thirties. They have spent a lot of time studying English before joining the company but they have only focused on standardized language tests and after getting hired they do not have any chances to use English at work for a long time.
Based on American Council on The Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency guidelines, their English proficiency level is in Intermediate Low to Intermediate Mid. While their reading proficiency is relatively good, speaking and writing skills are quite low. When they are sent to overseas sites, they often struggle with new work circumstances and language at the same time. For the EPC project, miscommunication is linked directly to time and cost loss so learning English for their work is imperative
- 석사학위를 수여받기 위해 제출된 포트폴리오임;☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.
- Show the fulltextShow the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.