View : 84 Download: 0
Effects of taboo conversation topics on impression formation and task performance evaluation
- Effects of taboo conversation topics on impression formation and task performance evaluation
- Lee, Hye Eun; Westerman, Catherine Kingsley; Hashi, Emi; Heuett, Kyle B.; Spates, Stephen A.; Reno, Katie M.; Jenkins, Erica W.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- SOCIAL BEHAVIOR AND PERSONALITY
- SOCIAL BEHAVIOR AND PERSONALITY vol. 48, no. 8
- conversation topics; taboo topics; task performance; physical attractiveness; task attractiveness; social attractiveness; communication satisfaction; impression formation; self-disclosure
- SOC PERSONALITY RES INC
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- We examined how taboo conversation topics, such as being arrested, religion, and one's body weight, affect impression formation and task performance. In an experiment with 109 women, each participant and a female research confederate, whom the participant believed to be another participant, had a conversation and were asked to complete a task. We manipulated the conversation topics and actual task performance of the confederate, and measured participants' communication satisfaction; perception of the confederate's social, physical, and task attractiveness; and task performance. The results show that when the confederate performed well and appropriate (vs. taboo) conversation topics were discussed, the participants formed a more positive impression of the confederate and evaluated her task performance more positively. Therefore, if social norms for appropriate conversation topics are not followed, individuals may be less satisfied with their interpersonal communication interaction with the person who has not observed the norms, and may evaluate the task performance of that other person more negatively.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사회과학대학 > 커뮤니케이션·미디어학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.