View : 38 Download: 0
Eighteen-Year Follow-Up Study of 2 Alternative Bearing Surfaces Used in Total Hip Arthroplasty in the Same Young Patients
- Eighteen-Year Follow-Up Study of 2 Alternative Bearing Surfaces Used in Total Hip Arthroplasty in the Same Young Patients
- Kim, Young-Hoo; Park, Jang-Won
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF ARTHROPLASTY
- JOURNAL OF ARTHROPLASTY vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 824 - 830
- total hip arthroplasty; ceramic-on-ceramic; ceramic-on-highly cross-linked; polyethylene; survivorship; younger patients
- CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE INC MEDICAL PUBLISHERS
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: This study compares the long-term functional, radiographic, and computed tomography scan outcomes and implant survivorship of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty (C-O-C THA) and ceramic-on-highly cross-linked polyethylene total hip arthroplasty (C-O-HXLPE THA) in the same patients. Methods: In this randomized, prospective trial conducted between January 1999 and April 2003, 133 patients (266 hips) younger than 55 years were enrolled. Each patient received C-O-C THA in 1 hip and a C-O-HXLPE THA in the other. The mean follow-up was 17.1 years (range, 15-18 years); there were 84 men and 49 women with a mean age of 53 +/- 7 years (range, 25-55 years). Results: At the latest follow-up, mean Harris hip scores (94 vs 93 points; P = .861), pain scores (43 vs 42 points; P = .651), and patient satisfaction scores (7.8 vs 7.6 points; P = .379) were not different between the 2 groups. Eight hips (3%) in the C-O-C THA had an audible squeaking sound. The mean annual penetration rate of HXLPE was 0.0162 +/- 0.032 mm per year. No osteolysis was recorded on radiographs or computed tomography scans in either group. At 17.1 years, the survival rate of the acetabular component was 97% in the C-O-C bearing group and 98% in the C-O-HXLPE bearing group (P = .923). The survival rate of the femoral component was 99% in both groups. Conclusion: Both C-O-C THA and C-O-HXLPE THA functioned well, with no osteolysis at mean of 17.1-year follow-up. (c) 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.