View : 148 Download: 0
Plasma Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 Concentration Is Associated with Intracranial Cerebral Atherosclerosis in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients
- Plasma Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 Concentration Is Associated with Intracranial Cerebral Atherosclerosis in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients
- Chang, Yoonkyung; Kim, Jinkwon; Woo, Ho Geol; Ryu, Dong-Ryeol; Oh, Hyung Jung; Song, Tae-Jin
- Ewha Authors
- 류동열; 송태진; 오형중; 장윤경; 우호걸
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 류동열; 송태진; 오형중
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NEUROLOGY
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NEUROLOGY vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 29 - 36
- fibroblast growth factor 23; Klotho; cerebral atherosclerosis; intracranial atherosclerosis
- KOREAN NEUROLOGICAL ASSOC
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Background and Purpose Fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) is associated with atherosclerosis via nitric-oxide-associated endothelial dysfunction and calcium-phosphate-related bone mineralization. This study aimed to determine the association of the plasma FGF23 concentration with intracranial cerebral atherosclerosis (ICAS) and extracranial cerebral atherosclerosis (ECAS). Methods We prospectively enrolled 262 first-ever ischemic stroke patients in whom brain magnetic resonance was performed and a blood sample acquired within 24 h after admission. Plasma FGF23 concentrations were measured using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. The presence of ICAS or ECAS was defined as a >= 50% decrease in arterial diameter in magnetic resonance angiography. The burden of cerebral atherosclerosis was calculated by adding the total number of vessels defined as ICAS or ECAS. Results Our study population included 152 (58.0%) males. The mean age was 64.7 years, and the plasma FGF23 concentration was 347.5 +/- 549.6 pg/mL (mean +/- SD). ICAS only, ECAS only, and both ICAS and ECAS were present in 31.2% (n=82), 4.9% (n=13), and 6.8% (n=18) of the subjects, respectively. In multivariate binary and ordinal logistic analyses, after adjusting for sex, age, and variables for which p<0.1 in the univariate analysis, the plasma FGF23 concentration (per 100 pg/mL) was positively correlated with the presence of ICAS [odds ratio (OR)=1.07, 95% CI=1.00-1.15, p=0.039], burden of ICAS (OR=1.09, 95% CI=1.04-1.15, p=0.001), and burden of ECAS (OR=1.06, 95% CI=1.00-1.12, p=0.038), but it was not significantly related to the presence of ECAS (OR=1.05, 95% CI=0.99-1.12, p=0.073). Conclusions The plasma FGF23 may be a potential biomarker for cerebral atherosclerosis, particularly the presence and burden of ICAS in stroke patients.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.