View : 28 Download: 0
Rapid conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into biodiesel without pre-treatment of FOG
- Rapid conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into biodiesel without pre-treatment of FOG
- Lee, Jechan; Jung, Jong-Min; Park, Chanhyuk; Jeon, Byong-Hun; Wang, Chi-Hwa; Lee, Sang-Ryong; Kwon, Eilhann E.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION
- JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION vol. 168, pp. 1211 - 1216
- Fat, oil and grease (FOG); Waste management; Biodiesel; Waste-to-energy; Simultaneous esterification/transesterification
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- In this study, the conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) without pre-treatment of FOG is investigated. A thermally induced process to accomplish simultaneous esterification of free fatty acids (FFAs) and transesterification of lipids is introduced. Despite high contents of impurities in FOG (similar to 14 wt%), the maximum achievable yield of FAMEs on feedstock mass basis was >86% for 10 s reaction time without removal of impurities prior to the reaction while conventional acid catalyzed reaction only produced <27.7% FAMEs from FOG. This means that the introduced technique can be effective for the conversion of low-quality raw material (e.g., FOG) into biodiesel. This study would suggest the potential not only for developing a sustainable integrated treatment process of FOG requiring no separation of lipids and FFAs in wastewater treatment facilities but also for using FOG as a renewable energy resource. (C) 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.