View : 129 Download: 0
The etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding depending on patient's age and gender
- The etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding depending on patient's age and gender
- Song, Joo Hye; Hong, Sung Noh; Chang, Dong Kyung; Jeon, Seong Ran; Kim, Jin-Oh; Kim, Jinsu; Lee, Bo-In; Choi, Myung-Gyu; Kim, Kyeong Ok; Yang, Dong-Hoon; Song, Hyun Joo; Do, Jae Hyuk; Lim, Yun Jeong; Shim, Ki-Nam; Park, Soo Jung; Kim, Ji Hyun; Moon, Jeong Seop; Jang, Hyun Joo; Chun, Hoon Jai; Korean Gut Image Study Grp
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- UNITED EUROPEAN GASTROENTEROLOGY JOURNAL
- UNITED EUROPEAN GASTROENTEROLOGY JOURNAL vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1169 - 1178
- Potential small-bowel bleeding; obscure gastrointestinal bleeding; video capsule endoscopy; age; gender
- SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: Whether the etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding depends on the age and gender of the patient is not yet fully understood. Methods: A total of 1953 patients who underwent video capsule endoscopy (VCE) to evaluate potential small-bowel bleeding and were registered in the Capsule Endoscopy Nationwide Database Registry from 2003 to 2014 were eligible for this study. VCE findings and the etiology of small-bowel bleeding were analyzed by age and gender. Results: The diagnostic yield of VCE was 48.4% (95% CI: 46.2%-50.6%) and the diagnosis rate of etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding was 61.4% (95% CI: 59.2%-63.6%). The etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding depends on the age and gender of the patient. Crohn's disease and small-bowel diverticular diseases were more prevalent etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding in the young adults group (< 40 years) whereas angiodysplasia was revealed to be a most common etiology in elderly group (>= 60 years), reaching statistical significance (p<0.00152) by Bonferroni correction. Conclusions: The etiology of potential small-bowel bleeding depends on the age of the patient. Thus, an individualized lesion-specific diagnostic approach based on age might be needed for patients with potential small-bowel bleeding.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.