View : 135 Download: 0
Plasma Klotho concentrations predict functional outcome at three months after acute ischemic stroke patients
- Plasma Klotho concentrations predict functional outcome at three months after acute ischemic stroke patients
- Lee, Jun-Beom; Woo, Ho Geol; Chang, Yoonkyung; Jin, Yoon Mi; Jo, Inho; Kim, Jinkwon; Song, Tae-Jin
- Ewha Authors
- 조인호; 송태진; 장윤경; 우호걸
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 조인호; 송태진
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ANNALS OF MEDICINE
- ANNALS OF MEDICINE vol. 51, no. 3-4, pp. 262 - 269
- Klotho; fibroblast growth factor 23; stroke; functional outcome
- TAYLOR &
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: The Klotho protects the cardiovascular system by protecting against cell apoptosis, inhibiting the production of reactive oxygen species, and modulating inflammation. We aimed to investigate relationship of plasma Klotho concentrations with functional outcome at 3 months after acute cerebral infarction. Methods: We prospectively enrolled 262 first-ever acute cerebral infarction patients from whom a blood sample was acquired within 24 h of admission. An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay was used for evaluating plasma Klotho concentration. Functional outcome on admission and three months was evaluated. Results: Of the 262 patients, 152 (58.0%) were men. The mean age of these patients was 64.7 years. The mean +/- standard deviation of plasma Klotho concentrations was 312.7 +/- 153.3 pg/mL. As opposed to patients with good outcome, plasma Klotho levels were lower in the poor outcome group (207.8 +/- 96.2 vs. 342.5 +/- 153.5 pg/mL, p = .001). In multivariate analysis, increased plasma Klotho concentrations were independently associated with good functional outcome (Odds ratio: 2.42, 95% confidence interval: 1.45-4.04, p < .001). Conclusions: Increased plasma Klotho concentrations were associated with good functional outcome in patients with acute ischemic stroke. We attribute these associations to the pleiotropic effects of Klotho in stroke and vascular diseases.Key message Increased plasma Klotho concentrations were associated with good functional outcome in patients with acute ischemic stroke.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.