View : 126 Download: 0
Walnut phenolic extract inhibits nuclear factor kappaB signaling in intestinal epithelial cells, and ameliorates experimental colitis and colitis-associated colon cancer in mice
- Walnut phenolic extract inhibits nuclear factor kappaB signaling in intestinal epithelial cells, and ameliorates experimental colitis and colitis-associated colon cancer in mice
- Koh, Seong-Joon; Choi, Youn-I; Kim, Yuri; Kim, Yoo-Sun; Choi, Sang Woon; Kim, Ji Won; Kim, Byeong Gwan; Lee, Kook Lae
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NUTRITION
- EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NUTRITION vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1603 - 1613
- Walnut; Inflammatory bowel disease; Nuclear factor kappaB; Colon cancer
- SPRINGER HEIDELBERG
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- PurposeWalnuts (Juglans regia) are known to have anti-cancer and immunomodulatory effects. However, little information is available on the effects of walnut phenolic extract (WPE) on intestinal inflammation and colitis-associated colon cancer.MethodsCOLO205 cells were pretreated with WPE and then stimulated with tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-. In the acute colitis model, wild type mice (C57BL/6) were administered 4% dextran sulfate sodium (DSS) for 5 days. In the chronic colitis model, interleukin (IL)-10(-/-) mice were administered with either the vehicle or WPE (20mg/kg) by oral gavage daily for 2 weeks. In an inflammation-associated tumor model, wild type mice were administered a single intraperitoneal injection of azoxymethane followed by three cycles of 2% DSS for 5 days and 2 weeks of free water consumption.ResultsWPE significantly inhibited IL-8 and IL-1 expression in COLO205 cells. WPE attenuated both the TNF--induced IB phosphorylation/degradation and NF-B DNA binding activity. The administration of oral WPE significantly reduced the severity of colitis in both acute and chronic colitis models, including the IL-10(-/-) mice. In immunohistochemical staining, WPE attenuated NF-B signaling in the colons of both colitis models. Finally, WPE also significantly reduced tumor development in a murine model of colitis-associated colon cancer (CAC).ConclusionsWPE ameliorates acute and chronic colitis and CAC in mice, suggesting that WPE may have potentials for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.