View : 46 Download: 0
The Impact of Cholecystectomy on the Gut Microbiota: A Case-Control Study
- The Impact of Cholecystectomy on the Gut Microbiota: A Case-Control Study
- Yoon, Won Jae; Kim, Han-Na; Park, Eunkyo; Ryu, Seungho; Chang, Yoosoo; Shin, Hocheol; Kim, Hyung-Lae; Yi, Sun Young
- Ewha Authors
- 김형래; 이선영; 윤원재
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김형래; 이선영
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE vol. 8, no. 1
- cholecystectomy; microbiota; gastrointestinal microbiome; 16S rRNA
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Cholecystectomy alters the bile flow into the intestine and the enterohepatic circulation of the bile acids; this may affect the gut microbiota. We assessed the gut microbiota composition of patients who had undergone cholecystectomy and compared with those who had not. From a cohort of 1463 adult participants who underwent comprehensive health screening examinations, 27 subjects who had undergone cholecystectomy (cholecystectomy group) and 81 age- and sex-matched subjects who had not (control group) were selected. Clinical parameters were collected and compared. Microbial composition was determined by 16S rRNA gene sequencing of DNA extracted from fecal samples. We evaluated differences in the overall microbial composition and in the abundance of taxa. The two groups were comparable with respect to clinical characteristics and laboratory results. The actual number of taxa observed in a sample (observed features) was significantly lower in the cholecystectomy group than in the control group (p = 0.042). The beta diversity of Jaccard distance index was significantly different between the two groups (p = 0.027). Blautia obeum and Veillonella parvula were more abundant in the cholecystectomy group. The difference in the diversity of the gut microbiota between the cholecystectomy and control groups was subtle. However, B. obeum and V. parvula, which have azoreductase activity, were more abundant in the cholecystectomy group. The impact of such changes in the gut microbiota on health remains to be determined.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.