View : 217 Download: 0
A Group of Descending Glutamatergic Neurons Activated by Stress in Corticolimbic Regions Project to the Nucleus Accumbens
- A Group of Descending Glutamatergic Neurons Activated by Stress in Corticolimbic Regions Project to the Nucleus Accumbens
- Park, Jin-Young; Park, So Young; Kwon, Hyejin; Song, Yumi; Yun, Boin; Lee, Yubin; Cho, Yeryung; Joo, Ahran; Han, Pyung-Lim
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- EXPERIMENTAL NEUROBIOLOGY
- EXPERIMENTAL NEUROBIOLOGY vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 387 - 396
- Stress; c-Fos; Retrograde tracer; Nucleus accumbens
- KOREAN SOC BRAIN &
NEURAL SCIENCE, KOREAN SOC NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASE
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- The nucleus accumbens (NAc) is the major component of the ventral striatum that regulates stress-induced depression. The NAc receives dopaminergic inputs from the ventral tegmental area (VTA), and the role of VTA-NAc neurons in stress response has been recently characterized. The NAc also receives glutamatergic inputs from various forebrain structures including the prelimbic cortex (PL), basolateral amygdala (BLA), and ventral hippocampus (vHIP), whereas the role of those glutamatergic afferents in stress response remains underscored. In the present study, we investigated the extent to which descending glutamatergic neurons activated by stress in the PL, BLA, and vHIP project to the NAc. To specifically label the input neurons into the NAc, fluorescent-tagged cholera toxin subunit B (CTB), which can be used as a retrograde neuronal tracer, was injected into the NAc. After two weeks, the mice were placed under restraint for 1 h. Subsequent histological analyses indicated that CTB-positive cells were detected in 170 similar to 680 cells/mm(2) in the PL, BLA, and vHIP, and those CTB-positive cells were mostly glutamatergic. In the PL, BLA, and vHIP regions analyzed, stress-induced c-Fos expression was found in 20 similar to 100 cells/mm(2). Among the CTB-positive cells, 2.6% in the PL, 4.2% in the BLA, and 1.1% in the vHIP were co-labeled by c-Fos, whereas among c-Fos-positive cells, 7.7% in the PL, 19.8% in the BLA, and 8.5% in the vHIP were co-labeled with CTB. These results suggest that the NAc receives a significant but differing proportion of glutamatergic inputs from the PL, BLA, and vHIP in stress response.
- Appears in Collections:
- 일반대학원 > 뇌·인지과학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.