View : 220 Download: 86
The relationship between metabolic syndrome and asthma in the elderly
- The relationship between metabolic syndrome and asthma in the elderly
- Park S.; Choi N.-K.; Kim S.; Lee C.-H.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Scientific Reports
- Scientific Reports vol. 8, no. 1
- Nature Publishing Group
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- The burden of asthma in the elderly is increasing, but the etiology of asthma in the elderly is not clearly understood. Recent studies have reported the epidemiological link between metabolic syndrome (MS) and asthma, but it has rarely been studied in the elderly. This study investigated the association between MS and asthma and the contribution of insulin resistance (IR) and systemic inflammation to this MS-asthma association in the elderly. Our study analyzed 4,060 elderly participants (≥65 years old) from a cross-sectional survey, the Korean National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey 2007-2012. Mediation analyses were performed to examine whether IR and systemic inflammation mediates the MS-asthma association. Participants with MS had significantly higher prevalence of asthma (adjusted odds ratio = 1.34; 95% confidence interval = 1.09-1.64), and those who had greater waist circumference and lower HDL-C were especially likely to have asthma. Participants with IR and systemic inflammation were associated with higher prevalence of asthma. Prevalence of IR and systemic inflammation were higher in participants with MS or with each MS component. The MS-asthma association was substantially mediated by IR and systemic inflammation. Our study showed a significant association between MS and asthma in the elderly. MS might affect asthma through both IR and systemic inflammation. © 2018 The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 융합보건학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
The relationship between metabolic.pdf(1.43 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.