View : 81 Download: 0
Characteristics of and Factors Contributing to Immediate Postoperative Pain After Ankle Fracture Surgery
- Characteristics of and Factors Contributing to Immediate Postoperative Pain After Ankle Fracture Surgery
- Won, Sung Hun; Chung, Chin Youb; Park, Moon Seok; Lee, Seung Yeol; Suh, You Sung; Lee, Kyoung Min
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF FOOT & ANKLE SURGERY
- JOURNAL OF FOOT & ANKLE SURGERY vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 890 - 893
- analgesia; ankle fracture; linear mixed model; peak pain period
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- To build an appropriate strategy of pain management after ankle fracture surgery, surgeons need to know the characteristics of postoperative ankle pain and its contributing factors. The aim of the present study was to investigate the maximum pain period after ankle fracture surgery and the factors affecting postoperative pain using a linear mixed model when patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) was used as a basic modality. A total of 219 adult patients (108 males and 111 females: mean age 51.2 +/- 15.9 years) who had undergone operative treatment for ankle fractures were included. Data on fracture severity, causes of injury, interval between injury and surgery, anesthesia method. American Society of Anesthesiologists classification, and operative time were collected. Pain intensity was measured using an 11-point pain intensity numerical rating scale preoperatively and postoperatively every 8 hours. Intravenous PCA was prescribed to all patients. The chronologic pattern of postoperative pain and factors affecting it were statistically analyzed using a linear mixed model. Maximum postoperative pain was observed at 8 hours postoperatively, and the maximum pain numerical rating scale score was 3.92, measured at 8-hour intervals. The severity of fracture (p = .01) was the only significant factor contributing to postoperative pain after ankle fracture surgery on multivariate analysis. Clinicians should consider the chronologic pattern of postoperative pain after ankle fracture surgery during postoperative pain management. Interventions for pain control, in addition to PCA, might be needed at similar to 8 hours postoperatively, especially for those with severe ankle fractures. (C) 2018 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.