View : 100 Download: 0
Double intratibial injection of human tonsil-derived mesenchymal stromal cells recovers postmenopausal osteoporotic bone mass
- Double intratibial injection of human tonsil-derived mesenchymal stromal cells recovers postmenopausal osteoporotic bone mass
- Kim, Gyungah; Jin, Yoon Mi; Yu, Yeonsil; Kim, Ha Yeong; Jo, Sangmee Ahn; Park, Yoon Jeong; Park, Yoon Shin; Jo, Inho
- Ewha Authors
- 조인호; 유연실
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 조인호; 유연실
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- CYTOTHERAPY vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1013 - 1027
- femoral head; intratibial injection; osteoporosis; ovariectomized; tonsil-derived mesenchymal stem cells; visceral fat
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background and aims: Osteoporosis, which is a disease characterized by weakening of the bone, affects a large portion of the senior population. The current therapeutic options for osteoporosis have side effects, and there is no effective treatment for severe osteoporosis. Thus, we urgently need new treatment strategies, such as topical therapies and/or safe and effective stem cell therapies. Methods: We investigated the therapeutic potential of directly injecting human tonsil-derived mesenchymal stem cells (TMSC) into the right proximal tibias of ovariectomized postmenopausal osteoporosis model mice. Injections were given once (1x) or twice (2x) during the 3-month experimental period. At the end of the experiment, micro -computed tomographic images revealed some improvement in the proximal tibias and more significant improvement in the femoral heads of treated mice. Results: Osteogenic effect was qualitatively and quantitatively more pronounced in TMSC/2x-treated mice. Furthermore, TMSC/2x mice exhibited significant recovery of the serum osteocalcin level, which is pathologically elevated in osteoporosis, and increased serum alkaline phosphatase, which indicates bone formation. TMSC therapy was generally well tolerated and caused no apparent toxicity in the experimental mice. Moreover, TMSC therapy reduced visceral fat. Conclusion: Our results demonstrate that double injection of TMSC directly into the proximal tibia triggers recovery of osteoporosis, and thus could be a potential therapeutic approach for severe bone loss.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.