View : 112 Download: 0
Education level is a strong prognosticator in the subgroup aged more than 50 years regardless of the molecular subtype of breast cancer: A study based on the Nationwide Korean breast cancer registry database
- Education level is a strong prognosticator in the subgroup aged more than 50 years regardless of the molecular subtype of breast cancer: A study based on the Nationwide Korean breast cancer registry database
- Lee H.J.; Kim J.; Oh S.; Kim Y.A.; Ahn S.H.; Noh D.-Y.; Nam S.J.; Kim S.Y.; Lee E.S.; Park B.-W.; Noh W.C.; Yoon J.H.; Lee S.J.; Lee E.K.; Han S.; Park H.Y.; Hwang K.-T.; Noh W.; Cho S.-H.; Yu J.; Park M.H.; Jeong J.; Paik N.-S.; Bae Y.T.; Park H.; Ko S.S.; Song B.J.; Suh Y.J.; Jung S.H.; Cho S.H.; Kim S.J.; Oh S.J.; Ko B.K.; Kim K.S.; Park C.; Baek J.-M.; Chang I.-S.; Bae J.W.; Kim J.S.; Kang S.H.; Gwak G.; Lee J.H.; Kim T.H.; Chang M.; Lee J.S.; Song J.-Y.; Park H.L.; Min S.Y.; Yang J.-H.; Park S.H.; Park W.-C.; Kim L.S.; Ryu D.W.; Kim K.C.; Chung M.S.; Park H.B.; Lim C.W.; Choi U.J.; Kwak B.S.; Park Y.S.; Shin H.J.; Choi Y.J.; Kim D.; Han A.; Koh J.H.; Choi S.; Yoon D.; Choi S.Y.; Chul S.H.; Kim J.I.; Choi J.H.; Ryu J.W.; Ko C.D.; Lee I.K.; Lee D.S.; Min Y.K.; Jeon Y.S.; Park E.-H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Cancer Research and Treatment
- Cancer Research and Treatment vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1114 - 1126
- Breast neoplasms; Education; Educational status; Prognosis; Survival analysis
- Korean Cancer Association
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Purpose This study investigated the role of the education level (EL) as a prognostic factor for breast cancer and analyzed the relationship between the EL and various confounding factors. Materials and Methods The data for 64,129 primary breast cancer patients from the Korean Breast Cancer Registry were analyzed. The EL was classified into two groups according to the education period; the high EL group (≥ 12 years) and low EL group (< 12 years). Survival analyses were performed with respect to the overall survival between the two groups. Results A high EL conferred a superior prognosis compared to a low EL in the subgroup aged > 50 years (hazard ratio, 0.626; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.577 to 0.678) but not in the subgroup aged ≤ 50 years (hazard ratio, 0.941; 95% CI, 0.865 to 1.024). The EL was a significant independent factor in the subgroup aged > 50 years according to multivariate analyses. The high EL group showed more favorable clinicopathologic features and a higher proportion of patients in this group received lumpectomy, radiation therapy, and endocrine therapy. In the high EL group, a higher proportion of patients received chemotherapy in the subgroups with unfavorable clinicopathologic features. The EL was a significant prognosticator across all molecular subtypes of breast cancer. Conclusion The EL is a strong independent prognostic factor for breast cancer in the subgroup aged > 50 years regardless of the molecular subtype, but not in the subgroup aged ≤ 50 years. Favorable clinicopathologic features and active treatments can explain the main causality of the superior prognosis in the high EL group. © 2017 by the Korean Cancer Association.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.