View : 34 Download: 0
Association between lutein intake and lutein concentrations in human milk samples from lactating mothers in South Korea
- Association between lutein intake and lutein concentrations in human milk samples from lactating mothers in South Korea
- Kim H.; Yi H.; Jung J.A.; Chang N.
- Ewha Authors
- 장남수; 김혜숙
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 장남수; 김혜숙
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- European Journal of Nutrition
- European Journal of Nutrition vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 417 - 421
- dietary intake; human milk; lactating mothers; Lutein
- Dr. Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag GmbH and Co. KG
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Purpose: This study aimed to determine the lutein content of breast milk and its association with maternal lutein intake among lactating mothers in South Korea. Methods: Milk samples were obtained from 98 healthy lactating women (mean age; 32.5 ± 3.5 years). Dietary intake data were collected by a food record method for three consecutive days. Maternal lutein intake was estimated by using the lutein database. Lutein concentrations in human milk were analyzed using a high-performance liquid chromatography–ultraviolet detection method. Results: The mean values of the daily lutein intakes and breast milk lutein concentrations in lactating mothers were 4.70 ± 3.11 mg/day (median 3.87) and 3.50 ± 3.71 µg/dl (median 2.45), respectively. Breast milk lutein concentrations were positively associated with the dietary lutein intake of lactating mothers after adjustment for lactating women’s age, BMI, dietary energy intake, type of breastfeeding, and infants’ age (β = 0.3629, P = 0.0056). Conclusions: Considering that lutein in milk can be associated with dietary lutein intake, knowledge about infant requirement is needed to define the adequate lutein levels in human milk. © 2017, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.