View : 24 Download: 0
Interdecadal Variability of the Warm Arctic and Cold Eurasia Pattern and Its North Atlantic Origin
- Interdecadal Variability of the Warm Arctic and Cold Eurasia Pattern and Its North Atlantic Origin
- Sung, Mi-Kyung; Kim, Seon-Hwa; Kim, Baek-Min; Choi, Yong-Sang
- Ewha Authors
- 최용상; 성미경
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLIMATE
- 0894-8755; 1520-0442
- vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 5793 - 5810
- AMER METEOROLOGICAL SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- This study investigates the origin of the interdecadal variability in the warm Arctic and cold Eurasia (WACE) pattern, which is defined as the second empirical orthogonal function of surface air temperature (SAT) variability over the Eurasian continent in Northern Hemisphere winter, by analyzing the Twentieth Century Reanalysis dataset. While previous studies highlight recent enhancement of the WACE pattern, ascribing it to anthropogenic warming, the authors found that the WACE pattern has experienced a seemingly periodic interdecadal variation over the twentieth century. This long-term variation in the Eurasian SAT is attributable to the altered coupling between the Siberian high (SH) and intraseasonal Rossby wave emanating from the North Atlantic, as the local wave branch interacts with the SH and consequentially enhances the continental temperature perturbation. It is further identified that these atmospheric circulation changes in Eurasia are largely controlled by the decadal amplitude modulation of the climatological stationary waves over the North Atlantic region. The altered decadal mean condition of stationary wave components brings changes in local baroclinicity and storm track activity over the North Atlantic, which jointly change the intraseasonal Rossby wave generation and propagation characteristics as well. With simple stationary wave model experiments, the authors confirm how the altered mean flow condition in the North Atlantic acts as a source for the growth of the Rossby wave that leads to the change in the downstream WACE pattern.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.