View : 22 Download: 0
D-tyrosine negatively regulates melanin synthesis by competitively inhibiting tyrosinase activity
- D-tyrosine negatively regulates melanin synthesis by competitively inhibiting tyrosinase activity
- Park, Jisu; Jung, Hyejung; Kim, Kyuri; Lim, Kyung-Min; Kim, Ji-young; Jho, Eek-hoon; Oh, Eok-Soo
- Ewha Authors
- 오억수; 임경민
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 오억수; 임경민
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- PIGMENT CELL & MELANOMA RESEARCH
- 1755-1471; 1755-148X
- vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 374 - 383
- D-tyrosine; L-tyrosine; melanin; melanogenesis; tyrosinase
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Although L-tyrosine is well known for its melanogenic effect, the contribution of D-tyrosine to melanin synthesis was previously unexplored. Here, we reveal that, unlike L-tyrosine, D-tyrosine dose-dependently reduced the melanin contents of human MNT-1 melanoma cells and primary human melanocytes. In addition, 500 mu M of D-tyrosine completely inhibited 10 mu M L-tyrosine-induced melanogenesis, and both in vitro assays and L-DOPA staining MNT-1 cells showed that tyrosinase activity is reduced by D-tyrosine treatment. Thus, D-tyrosine appears to inhibit L-tyrosine-mediated melanogenesis by competitively inhibiting tyrosinase activity. Furthermore, we found that D-tyrosine inhibited melanogenesis induced by alpha-MSH treatment or UV irradiation, which are the most common environmental factors responsible for melanin synthesis. Finally, we confirmed that D-tyrosine reduced melanin synthesis in the epidermal basal layer of a 3D human skin model. Taken together, these data suggest that D-tyrosine negatively regulates melanin synthesis by inhibiting tyrosinase activity in melanocyte-derived cells.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.