View : 47 Download: 0
Gene expression of perforin by peripheral blood lymphocytes as a marker of acute rejection
- Gene expression of perforin by peripheral blood lymphocytes as a marker of acute rejection
- Kim S.-J.; Lee T.-S.; Oh C.-K.; Kim H.; Shin G.-T.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Nephron - Clinical Practice
- Nephron - Clinical Practice vol. 100, no. 3, pp. c63 - c70
- Document Type
- Background: Previous findings have demonstrated that the expression of cytotoxic effector molecules is increased in acute rejection of renal allografts. In the present study, we serially examined the gene expression of perforin, granzyme B and Fas ligand (FasL) in peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBLs) of renal allograft recipients to assess the potential of their expression as a marker of acute rejection. Methods: PBLs were isolated from blood samples taken on days 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 after transplantation. Competitive PCR was performed to evaluate the abundance of mRNA of perforin, granzyme B and FasL. The mean value + 2 SD of each molecule in the control group was set as a discriminatory level for that particular molecule. Results: When all measured samples were compared, perforin expression was significantly higher in patients with acute rejection than in the control group (1.84 ± 3.01 vs. 0.71 ± 0.48, p = 0.01). The percentage of perforin expression exceeding the discriminatory level was also significantly higher in patients with acute rejection (p = 0.0003). Five patients in the rejection group (5/7, 71.4%) showed perforin expression exceeding the discriminatory level, while only 1 patient in the control group did so (1/8, 12.5%) (p = 0.02). Perforin expressions of days 0 and 1 of rejection crisis were the highest over the study period. No consistent pattern of granzyme B and FasL expression was identified in relation to rejection crisis. Conclusion: Gene expression of perforin by PBLs was upregulated in accordance with acute rejection, thus offering the possibility that it may be utilized as a marker of acute rejection. Copyright © 2005 S. Karger AG.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.