View : 58 Download: 0
Case studies of successful transition from out-of-home placement to young adulthood in Korea
- Case studies of successful transition from out-of-home placement to young adulthood in Korea
- Nho, Choong Rai; Park, Eun Hye; McCarthy, Mary L.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- CHILDREN AND YOUTH SERVICES REVIEW
- 0190-7409; 1873-7765
- vol. 79, pp. 315 - 324
- Out of home care; Transition to young adulthood; Independent living; Korea
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- Outcome studies of children in out-of-home care have focused on negative psychosocial issues, and very few studies have addressed personal and institutional factors that affect successful transitions into young adulthood. Adopting a resilience model and using a case study method, this study examines successful transitions of children from out-of-home care to young adulthood in Korea to draw implications for child welfare practice and policies. Five young adults in their 20s and 30s were interviewed between November 2015 and January 2016. Two main themes and six subthemes were identified: Social support and individual factors. Social support included significant others as informal support and formal support as stepping stones. Individual factors were studying as a survival skill, surviving in a tough and formidable world, self-control, and putting the past behind and moving forward. Based on the results, the study presents ways to facilitate smooth transitions to young adulthood which includes promotion of healthy relationships between a child and staff and educational support to help them complete higher education that eventually leads them to stable employment.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사회과학대학 > 사회복지학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.