View : 177 Download: 0
Development of a surgical training model for bilateral axillo-breast approach robotic thyroidectomy
- Development of a surgical training model for bilateral axillo-breast approach robotic thyroidectomy
- Yu, Hyeong Won; Yi, Jin Wook; Seong, Chan Yong; Kim, Jong-kyu; Bae, In Eui; Kwon, Hyungju; Chai, Young Jun; Kim, Su-jin; Choi, June Young; Lee, Kyu Eun
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- SURGICAL ENDOSCOPY AND OTHER INTERVENTIONAL TECHNIQUES
- SURGICAL ENDOSCOPY AND OTHER INTERVENTIONAL TECHNIQUES vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 1360 - 1367
- Bilateral axillo-breast approach; Training model; Simulation; Simulator; Education
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background Bilateral axillo-breast approach robotic thyroidectomy (BABA RT) is an excellent surgical method, being oncologically safe and with anatomic views similar to those of open surgery. BABA RT, however, requires training and a learning curve for proficiency. We evaluated the educational effectiveness of a surgical training model for BABA RT, comparing objective BABA scores with scores on the da Vinci Skills Simulator (dVSS). Methods Medical students, surgical residents, and surgical fellows performed structured tasks with the BABA training model and dVSS under the same conditions. All tasks were videotaped. BABA scores were compared with dVSS scores and with objective evaluation scores (GEARS and OSATS). Results Eight medical students, ten surgical residents, and eight surgical fellows participated in this study. The educational effect of BABA training improved from one to two (p < 0.001), two to three (p = 0.003), and one to three (p < 0.001) procedures. Statistically significant differences were found when students were compared with residents p = 0.025) and fellows (p < 0.001) in the BABA training model, and between students and fellows (p = 0.004) in dVSS. BABA scores showed similar distribution patterns in the three groups to GEARS and OSATS scores (p < 0.001 each). Conclusions The BABA training model is an excellent educational tool for surgical residents and surgical fellows to learn and practice BABA RT. Assessment by BABA score yielded objective results comparable to those of traditional scoring methodologies.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.