View : 3 Download: 0
Emergence of synthetic mRNA: In vitro synthesis of mRNA and its applications in regenerative medicine
- Emergence of synthetic mRNA: In vitro synthesis of mRNA and its applications in regenerative medicine
- Kwon, Hyokyoung; Kim, Minjeong; Seo, Yunmi; Moon, Yae Seul; Lee, Hwa Jeong; Lee, Kyuri; Lee, Hyukjin
- Ewha Authors
- 이화정; 이규리; 이혁진
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이화정; 이혁진
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- 0142-9612; 1878-5905
- vol. 156, pp. 172 - 193
- Synthetic mRNA; In vitro transcription (IVT); Cellular reprograming; Regenerative medicine
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- The field of gene therapy has evolved over the past two decades after the first introduction of nucleic acid drugs, such as plasmid DNA (pDNA). With the development of in vitro transcription (IVT) methods, synthetic mRNA has become an emerging class of gene therapy. IVT mRNA has several advantages over conventional pDNA for the expression of target proteins. mRNA does not require nuclear localization to mediate protein translation. The intracellular process for protein expression is much simpler and there is no potential risk of insertion mutagenesis. Having these advantages, the level of protein expression is far enhanced as comparable to that of viral expression systems. This makes IVT mRNA a powerful alternative gene expression system for various applications in regenerative medicine. In this review, we highlight the synthesis and preparation of IVT mRNA and its therapeutic applications. The article includes the design and preparation of IVT mRNA, chemical modification of IVT mRNA, and therapeutic applications of IVT mRNA in cellular reprogramming, stem cell engineering, and protein replacement therapy. Finally, future perspectives and challenges of IVT mRNA are discussed. (C) 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.