View : 329 Download: 0
Interarm Systolic and Diastolic Blood Pressure Difference Is Diversely Associated With Cerebral Atherosclerosis in Noncardioembolic Stroke Patients
- Interarm Systolic and Diastolic Blood Pressure Difference Is Diversely Associated With Cerebral Atherosclerosis in Noncardioembolic Stroke Patients
- Chang, Yoonkyung; Choi, Gyeong Seon; Lim, Soo Mee; Kim, Yong-Jae; Song, Tae-Jin
- Ewha Authors
- 김용재; 임수미; 송태진; 장윤경
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김용재; 임수미; 송태진
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HYPERTENSION
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HYPERTENSION vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 35 - 42
- ankle-brachial index; blood pressure; extracranial atherosclerosis; hypertension; intracranial atherosclerosis; interarm blood pressure differences
- OXFORD UNIV PRESS
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Interarm systolic and diastolic blood pressure differences (IASBD, IADBD) are not infrequent in various populations. Cerebral atherosclerosis, including extracranial cerebral atherosclerosis (ECAS) and intracranial cerebral atherosclerosis (ICAS), is an important risk factor for stroke. In this study, we aimed to investigate the relationship of IASBD, IADBD with presence and burden of ICAS and ECAS. This was a retrospective hospital-based cross-sectional study. In total, 1,063 consecutive noncardioembolic ischemic stroke patients, who were checked for bi-brachial blood pressures from ankle-brachial index and brain magnetic resonance angiographic images of cerebral arteries, were included. The IASBD and IADBD were defined as absolute value of the blood pressure difference in both arms. In all included patients, patients with IASBD 10 and IADBD 10 were noted in 9.4% (100/1,063) and 5.3% (56/1,063). The patients with IASBD 10 mm Hg were more frequently burdened with ICAS (P = 0.001) and ECAS (P = 0.027) and patients with IADBD 10 mm Hg were more frequently burdened with ICAS (P = 0.042) but not ECAS (P = 0.187). Multivariate analysis after adjusting gender, age, and a P value < 0.1 in univariate analysis showed IASBD 10 mm Hg was associated with the presence of both ECAS and ICAS [odds ratio (OR): 2.96, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.65-5.31]. The IADBD 10 mm Hg was related with presence of ICAS only (OR: 1.87, 95% CI: 1.05-3.37) but not with ECAS only (OR: 1.50, 95% CI: 0.73-3.06). Our study showed IASBD and IADBD were diversely associated with cerebral atherosclerosis. In noncardioembolic stroke patients with IASBD 10 or IADBD 10, the possibility of accompanying cerebral atherosclerosis should be considered.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.